Friday, September 3, 2010

A place to call home


I feel incredibly fortunate that we not only found a home in Tokyo, it is actually a house, with a real garden. It is in Kawasaki City, which is a large suburb southwest of Tokyo. The neighborhood is called Shibokuhoncho and in the neighborhood is a very nice park called Higatsitakane Forest Park. My water creature loving son is pretty excited that the park has a large pond and a "swamp plant garden."

I don't yet know to what extent I can garden in this already very mature Japanese-style garden. At a minimum I'll be able to do veggies and herbs in containers. And as a good permaculturist, I plan to start worm composting so we can give back to this little oasis. It will be exciting for me to learn all about the plants there and to find out about their native habitats/guilds/companion plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment